Saturday, July 16, 2011

It's been a crazy six months

I've given my novel to my writer's group and gotten it back with their critiques.

I've given birth to my daughter, who is now five weeks old.

My mother-in-law has for all intents and purposes moved in with us.  (The idea was that she would move in to provide childcare since me and the husb both were working at the time.)

I got laid off (RIF'd really.) from my job. (Along with the entire accounting & administrative staff, bar one poor soul who has taken on all the admin / accounting functions that had to remain on site.)

The animal count in my house went up by two (admittedly fairly well behaved) chihuahuas.

And I'm trying to decide where I want the priorities for my time to be, because I'm rapidly discovering that item number two on this list is eating time like a mad thing.

Work on the novel?  Get the yard / house projects that have been pending for "when I have time".  Go gung-ho on SCA heavy combat and hope to turn into a decent fighter someday?  Work on the other writing projects I have pottering around?  Get my scribal backlog of calligraphy & illumination pieces caught up?  Fill my house with Baby Einstein stuff and start trying to teach my daughter to read Chinese by age 1?  (This would be quite a trick, as I can't read Chinese either.)

I am still job searching, but the last time I was in this position, I was seriously angry with myself for all the hours I wasted being depressed and moping around the house.  (I did write most of the novel while I wasn't working but I still wasted a great deal of time.)

I've got to be more effective this time around, since my time is allocated in two hour increments between diapers and feedings.  So I'm going to carefully figure out what's important to me this time, and set aside blocks of time for each thing I want to do.  Hopefully it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment